On this trip, you will hike on the Marangu Route with one night at Mandara Hut and towards Horombo Hut before returning to Mandara for lunch and then hiking back. You will NOT reach the summit.
Itinerary in Brief
- DAY 1: Hike to Mandara Hut for overnight
- DAY 2: Hike towards Horombo then down to park gate and return to Moshi
- Trekking on the slopes of the highest mountain in Africa
- Locations: Kilimanjaro
- Activities: Mountain Trekking
Day 1 : Hike to Mandara Hut for overnight
Visiting: Moshi to Kilimanjaro
After breakfast at your hotel, you will meet your guide, drive to the Kilimanjaro National Park Gate (about 1 hour), register and commence the climb.
Walk through the rainforest to the Mandara encampment. A side trip to Maundi Crater is a good way to see the surroundings including Northern Tanzania and Kenya. In the rainforest, look for towering Eucalyptus trees, bird life, and Colobus monkeys.
- 5,500 ft / 1,700 m to 9,000 ft / 2,740 m
- 7 km
- 4-5 hours
- Montane Forest
- Meals: LD
- Budget Lodging: Mandara Hut
Day 2 : Hike towards Horombo then down to park gate and return to Moshi
You leave the glades of the rainforest and follow an ascending path on the open moorlands towards the Horombo encampment. Views of Mawenzi and the summit of Kibo are amazing. Look for giant lobelias and grounsels. After lunch at Mandara, hike back to the park gate and drive back to Moshi (about 1 hour).
- 9,000 ft / 2,700 m to 12,100 ft / 3,700 m
- 11 km
- 3-4 hours up / 2+ hours down
- Meals: BL
Prices Valid for Trips through December 31, 2015
|# People in Group:||2-3||4-6||7+|