Day 1: Londorossi Gate to Mti Mkubwa
- Distance: 11 km
- Hiking Time: 3 hours
- Habitat: Rain Forest
Drive from Moshi or Arusha to Londorossi Gate, where we will complete entry formalities. From here a forest track requiring one hour drive to Lemosho Glades. After lunch, we will walk along forest trails to Mti Mkubwa (big tree) campsite,
Day 2: Mti Mkubwa to Shira Camp 1
- Distance: 8km
- Hiking Time: 7 hours
- Habitat: Moorland
We will follow a trail that leads out of the forest and into a savannah giant heather moorland zone. Our ascend through scenic rolling hills, we will cross several streams to reach the Shira Ridge before descending to Shira 1 camp. The view of Kibo from the plateau is spectacular.
Day 3: Shira Camp 1 to Shira Camp 2
- Distance: 6km
- Hiking Time: 2 hours
- Habitat: Moorland
A gentle walk across the plateau leads to Shira 2 camp on moorland meadows by a stream. A variety of walks are available on the plateau making this an excellent acclimatization day. Shira is one of the highest plateaus on Earth.
Day 4: Shira Camp 2 to Barranco Camp
- Distance: 7km
- Hiking Time: 6-8 hours
- Habitat: Semi Desert
From the Shira Plateau, we continue to the east towards the peak of Kibo and passing that junction. Here our path goes east, towards the Lava Tower, also called the Shark’s Tooth. Shortly after passing the Lava Tower, we meet the second junction that brings us to the Arrow Glacier. From here we continue down to the Barranco Hut, where we will rest, have dinner and overnight. Despite the fact that we did not changed elevation from the point where we started, this day is very important for acclimatization and will help your body prepare for the summit.
Day 5: Barranco Camp to Karanga Camp to Barafu Camp
- Distance: 9km
- Hiking Time: 8 hours
- Habitat: Alpine Desert
After breakfast, we take short scramble to the top of the Great Barranco and then a traverse over scree and ridges to the Karanga Valley, beneath the icefalls of the Heim, Kersten, and Decken Glaciers. After a short and well deserved break we leave Karanga and cross the junction that connects with the Mweka Trail, used for descend from the mountain later. From here we continue up to the Barafu Camp. Here we will rest, have dinner and prepare for the summit day. From Barafu you can enjoy the view of two volcanic cones Mawenzi and Kibo peaks, and that view is quite spectacular and you should not miss it.
Day 6: Barafu Camp to Summit to Mweka Hut
- Distance: 5 km ascent / 12 km descent
- Hiking Time: 7-8 hours ascent / 4-6 hours descent
- Habitat: Arctic
An early start for the ascent to the rim of the Kibo Crater between the Rebmann and Ratzel Glaciers. The last section before the rim can sometimes be snow-covered and an ice-axe or ski stick is useful for balance. At the rim we will reach Stella point, from where we have further hour to Uhuru Peak. After a short stop for taking photos we descend to the Barafu Hut for a rest and lunch before continuing on past Millenium camp down to Mweka Hut in the giant heather zone on the forest edge. Those with the strength left from the summit may wish to descend to the Reutsh Crater and visit the ice pinnacles of the Eastern Icefields. Later in the evening, we enjoy our last dinner on the mountain and a well-earned sleep.
Day 7: Mweka Camp to Moshi/Arusha
- Distance: 10 km
- Hiking Time: 3-4 hours
- Habitat: Rain Forest
After breakfast, we continue the descent down to the Mweka Park Gate to receive your summit certificates. From the gate, you continue another hour to Mweka Village. A vehicle will meet you at village to drive you back to hotel in Moshi or Arusha.
- Arrival and departure Kilimanjaro airport transfers
- Accommodation in Town
- Scheduled Riverside bus shuttle transfer Nairobi-Arusha-Nairobi if arriving/departing from Nairobi.
- Transport from the hotel to the mountain and back to the hotel
- Accommodation as indicated
- Sleeping tent and mattresses on the mountain
- Dining tent on the mountain
- Meals as indicated above (B=Breakfast, L=Lunch, D=Dinner)
- All park fees, including mountain rescue fees, government taxes and all applicable fees and taxes.
- Services of a Professional Leading Guide who is medically trained, certified, licensed and English speaking.
- Services of English-speaking assistant guide (s) and enough number of porters for your luggage, food, and water, and a skilled cook.
- Transport from your hotel to the mountain, and back to your hotel.
- Group average of 4~6 climbers, maximum of 15.
- Oxygen bottle and pulse oximeter
- International airfare
- Items of a personal nature such as passport, and visa,
- Climbing gears (can be rented on arrival)
- Tips (recommended in USD, Cash)
- Medical Equipment which can be rented well in advance for the following costs: $250/group for hyperbaric chamber, and $140/group for a stretcher. Please note these prices include a porter to carry the equipment.
- The pack that the porters carry is limited to 35 pounds (i.e. 15kgs)
- Overweight or extra luggage will require an extra porter at $10/day
You can leave extra luggage in Hotel in Arusha (if you leave any valuable items like cash, jewelry, etc) make sure you get a receipt for that.
*If you add that day, instead of just staying at the hotel, we can offer a day trip to the nearby Arusha National Park for game drives for $180pp inclusive of 1to 2 hours hiking on mount Meru. Starting from 4 pax in a group.
1850$ per person